The TP-Link Repeater WA850RE has been introduced by TP-Link along with several other Range extenders like the TP-Link TL-WA860RE and the TP-Link TL-WA855RE which allow easy accessibility and manageability using apps because why not? Our world is dominated by apps. There’s not a thing in our lives that we don’t have an app for. From finding a perfect place to eat to going to that place, we need an app for everything. This remotely accessible world of ours has become so easy to manage that we start focusing on the things that really matter. A lot of these things help you save a lot of time so not shifting to it makes no sense. When the ease and simplicity of can make such a difference, it would be wiser that we can automate everything that we can.
This includes easing the process of installing a new device which somehow takes a long time to do today. The thought of installing a new device scares many and a device like a Wireless Repeater generally makes the owners let out a little scream. While it was tougher in the past, with the current technology which makes everything easy, TP-Link has been able to make this process far easier than what it was supposed to be. All you need is your device and a smart phone; all that and you are good to go.
TP-Link, a company that has time and again been able to take the networking technology to new heights, since over two decades now, has been successful to make things easier for everyone today. The TP Link Repeater WA850RE, winner of several awards is the testament to that belief. These awards include the 2013 IT product Computer World Magazine in the Czech Republic, Gold Award from Web User, “Price Tip” award from CHIP in Germany and “Producto Recomendado” by website Zero13Wireless in Spain.
There must be a reason why it won awards like that and the reason is pretty simple; the features, the speed and the ease of installation this device provides is out of this world. It’s an asset to have at home and regularly finds way to amaze the owner. Be it because of the long life it has or the constantly good speed he provides to the owner.
As mentioned before the device can be easily installed after installing an application. The application is called TP-Link Tether and is easily available on Google Play store and Apple App store. Before that, it is important to switch on the Repeater device first. To do this, plug in the Repeater to the electrical outlet. Next, to setup this device using the application, perform the following steps:
Step 1: Download the TP-Link Tether app for your mobile platform.
Step 2: Open the wireless settings page of your mobile device and open the available connections page. Find your Repeater and connect to it.
Step 3: Open the Tether app. Find the Repeater and select it in the Local Device list.
Step 4: To secure the device from future access, create a device password.
Step 5: You will now be asked to choose from a number of settings that will now set up your device. These include the SSID for both the bands (2.4GHz and 5GHz) and choose a password for the same.
Step 6: Set up the security too and make sure it’s set to WPA2 Personal as it is the most secure out of all the available.
Step 7: Enter the credentials for the available Wi-Fi network and you are ready to share the Internet connection of your home router.
Step 8: Go through the settings of the router once more and save and apply the settings.
Your Wi-Fi repeater is ready for use.
Although the setup process is fairly easy, there still maybe a couple of questions that you might have about the setup process or about the device itself. To address that, we have penned down a few. You can look at.
Question: What can I do if I forgot my wireless password?
Answer: Forgetting the password to the TP-Link Range Extender devices happens quite often. We are used to just saving the password after entering it once. There always was a chance this was bound to happen. Well changing the password to the Wi-Fi however isn’t a difficult task in itself. Simply find an Ethernet cable and connect your Range extension device with a PC or a Laptop. Once connected, follow the steps given below:
Step 2: Find the settings option and under that look for Wireless settings. This will take you to the page where all the details about the device are present. You can either retrieve the previously-set password or reset the password and add a new one as per your convenience.
Question: What can I do if I cannot access the web management page?
Answer: Losing the access to the management page can happen due to a number of reasons. Most of them are given below. You can go through them one by one and find the one most appropriate to your situation which can help you resolve the issue. These methods are:
- Sometimes you can lose the access to the web management page simply because your device is not connected to the network extender.
- The IP of the device you are trying to connect to the extended network should be given to it automatically. Having a static IP might conflict with the IP distribution process. To tackle that, make sure your device is set to obtain both the IP and the DNS server address automatically.
- You can also use the IP address to access the web-management page of the router. The default IP is set to be 168.0.254, however there’s a chance that your device chose a separate gateway address. You can look for it in the command prompt and use that IP address to log on to the web based management page.
- If nothing else works, you can simply reset the extender to its default factory settings. Once reset, you can restart the setup process and enter the page.
Question: How to reset the extender to its factory default settings?
Answer: There are two ways to make the device go back to its default factory settings. This TP-Link Repeater Reset process can be done physically or with the access to the web based setup page.
- To reset it physically, simply locate your device and while it’s powered on, use a pin and press down on the RESET button for at least 3 seconds. The device will automatically go back to its default factory settings.
- You can also log in to the web based setup page and remotely do it. Find the settings page and under that, look for system tools. Next click on the restore and backup option and click on the factory reset button. You device will roll back to its original settings.
Factory reset option is a great way to have your device roll back to its original settings. This helps at a time when you have either lost the Wi-Fi password, or the device password. If a firmware update fails, you can bring the device back to the original settings and try the update again manually.